Friday, February 18, 2005

Mt. Pinatubo = Lahar? hell no!

Look at that picture.
New zealand? 
no. 
Batanes? 
no. (but that's in my wishlist) 

Ofcourse you know this already. You saw my title :P. Yep, that's the crater of Mt. Pinatubo.



pinatubo

Feb 18, 2005. It was a long weekend and so my photography club mates and I decided to see Mt. Pinatubo last friday until Saturday for another photoshoot. So equipped with our camera gears, tent and some food, off we went for our long weekend lakwatsa con photoshoot.

It's a 3-hour trek but if you want a shorter one you need to hire a 4x4 to take you to the shorter route. This will cut your trek from 3 hours to an hour. It was very tiring.We had to cross a river, balance on some rocks, walk on dirt. I'm not into mountain climbing really, but someone told me that the trek is not so difficult compared to Sagada and that the trail is not steep that's why I joined. Little did I know that i would have my lungs working extra because i was huffing and puffing the whole time.


The rewards are great though. The view of the crater is amazing. My mouth literally fell open because of the beauty of the lahar formation. It looks like the alps of Switzerland from afar. The very wide river that is now lahar-filled 
sunnier mordorsunnier mordorsunnier mordor

you'll see a lot of these lahar-capped mountains on your way to the crater....
is overwhelming.

The Mt. Pinatubo eruption was really devastating but when you look into the remains of what happened, the lahar cutting thru mountains, the river turned solid because of the lahar, the alps-like mountains because of the lahar, you can't help but think that somehow that catastrophe turned my country even more beautiful.





0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment