Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Car Payment Done!

This might sound shallow but this is a biggie for me because I don't like loans.

When I moved here in the U.S. I didn't decide to get a car right away. My first job was in center city Philadelphia. I used to live in Plainsboro, NJ but the commute is just too exhausting. 2 hours one way. So I decided to find an apartment in PA. Problem is, the cost of apartments in the city are up the roof so I went to look for apartments out in the suburbs instead but strategically chose an apartment that is close to a bus station or train station so it would make my public commute easier. I also made sure that my apartment is walking distance to a supermarket. I ended up getting an apartment in Northeast Philadelphia (Korman Communities). I have to take a bus and a train (blue line) to get to work but I'm fine with that. I'm just glad that I am walking distance to the bus stop, a shopping mall, a supermarket, a taco bell and a burger king, hah! So yeah, I don't see a need for a car.

Then I found a new job. A permanent, full time job outside the "city" (where I met the hubby). I tried to do public transportation for a few weeks but it took me almost 2 hours to get to work. If I have a car, it will just take me 30 minutes. Still, I didn't buy a car. I'm just too cheap and scared to drive (people here drive fast! <- my lame excuse). What I did instead is to move to a new apartment that will make my travel time shorter and found this cute apartment at Towers of Wyncote, located at, guess where, in the city of  Wyncote (still suburbs though).


my current ride since 2010
RAV 4 2005




I moved from a cookie cutter apartment to a high-rise building apartment (which I love by the way! stayed there for 4 years). It's also walking distance to a shopping mall and supermarket (Walmart and Pathmark).  Most importantly, it has a shuttle that takes you to the train station (and when I'm lucky, the driver sometimes drive me all the way to my work!). From the train station it's just 15 minutes to work and a few minutes in the bus. When I was still in Northeast Philly, I need to take a bus for 30 minutes, then train (blue line) for 30 minutes, then another train (regional train) for 30 minutes and then bus, agh! Ofcourse that doesn't include the wait times in between transportation modes. So yeah, my new apartment is just perfect.

I was fine for a while with my new apartment but one New Year's eve, I've gotten so depressed because I was spending it alone. Not to be melodramatic, but I have never spent New Year's Eve alone and to make it worst, in a foreign land. Nobody remembered to invite me to this New Year's eve party a friend hosted. They thought so and so invited me but so and so thought this other friend invited me. Long story short, I was so depressed I finished half a bottle of Tequila (that I can't stand to look at anymore), 3 pieces of lemon and ome grilled hotdog sauted in catsup and onions that I made all to myself. I have never felt so alone in my life.



This got me thinking, though. Am I'm starting to annoy my friends. Am I starting to become a burden to them because they had to go out of their way to pick me up so I could go to parties or any church functions? That's when I decided to get a car. Fortunately, I have a friend selling his old car that time. It was a 2002 silver Nissan Sentra with 110,000+ mileage. If my memory serves me right, I bought it for $1,500 (cash). It was a good well maintained car inspite of the big mileage and it served me for 2 years until I was confident enough to get the car I really like - a toyota SUV.


my first car in the US
nissan sentra 2002

2 years later I sold my Nissan Sentra to another friend, applied for a car loan from my bank and got myself a 2005 RAV 4. It's Toyota Certified Used Car  with just 55,000 mileage on it. It wasn't a fancy car, yes, but I have always liked how the 2005 RAV 4 looks even back in the Philippines. I also like the fact that it is a 4-wheel drive (very good for snow driving). There's only one caveat though. I have payments to worry about every month. Every month for 4 years.

But it's all good, because  last Friday I deposited my final car loan payment and today I got this..


My car loan is done!
and I'm happy as a clam...
*happy dance*

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment