Saturday, September 6, 2014

I wanna be a Swiss Miss...


...live in Switzerland that is



note: all bold texts are clickable.


This is long over due and I finally got the inspiration to write about our Switzerland trip after rummaging through old digital photos.


Day 1.


Actually, we got there early evening but technically, it's still day 1.

I was in Switzerland with the hubby (then boyfriend) on December 2010. It is part of the itinerary of the group tour we booked from Cosmos. We were expecting Switzerland to be really cold (colder than the previous European countries we've visited that week) since it is December but we were surprised that it was actually a bit warmer which was really odd. The hubby was even making a joke about it that we were frozen cold in London but we thawed in Switzerland (it should be the other way around).


i'm in the land of toblerones!
can i take this home, please?!

We arrived in Lucerne around early evening and our first stop over was a store that sells Swiss watches and Swiss army knives. Ofcourse I have to get one, well ok, three, of those Swiss Army Knives, I'm a huge fan! I had one before,  that I bought during my first trip in the U.S. but I lost it. What better way to buy your Swiss knife than from the source! The hubby bought me a Swiss watch,  which I still wear til now on special occasions or if my wardrobe warrants that style of watch.


view from the restaurant





So we got the key to our room, dropped our bags in, freshened up a bit and then decided to take a walk around the city to look for a place to eat. So armed with the mental directions on where to go (that we siphoned from our hotel's concierge's brain), we began exploring.

lucerne at night (the chappel bridge)

While we were walking along the streets of Lucerne we bumped into a few well-dressed young crowd whom were assuming is out to go clubbing or partying. The city is very clean and even if it's dark out already we feel very safe walking out in the street (as opposed to Paris where you have to always watch out for gypsies).

After a lot of stops along the way (because I was taking photos, with tripod, long exposures and all) we finally found an outdoor restaurant (we are suckers for outdoor dining). The restaurant was packed and we figured if it's packed, it must be good. The place is called Pfistern

We asked for a table for two and we were seated immediately and we were esch given a blanket and a hot glass water bottle to put on our lap. We thought that was a very good touch because it did got a little chilly as we got near the water. Although, we really don't know if all restaurants in Switzerland do that since we only got to try one place.


far to your right, outside, closer to the water, was where we were sitting...
photo credits from the restaurant's website


Anyhow, we weren't really hungry so we just ordered a cheese fondue. Someone from the next table who are locals and who can speak English suggested we get the Gorgonzola cheese which we did. After a few minutes our cheese fondue came, along with a warm sack of cute tiny potatoes (that i think is called dutch marbles baby potatoes) and some tiny pieces of bread. We were ecstatic! We were eating fondue. Switzerland's national dish and guess where? in Switzerland no less! Yeah, yeah, we get easily excited over small things. Haha.

After we're done eating, we took more photos and back to our hotel we went. We had an early start the next day so we need all the rest we can get. Oh, by the way, we didn't like the taste of the Gorgonzola fondue. I love the Gorgonzola crackers of Trader Joe's but only because it's in small amounts. Having Gorgonzola as a fondue is a different story. It has a very strong taste to it.


(excuse the crappy photo)
sitting just right outside the entrance enjoying my swiss fondue
the bag on your right are the tiniest (warm) potatoes i've ever seen
and tasted.


Day 2.


The next day we woke up really early for our Lake Lucerne cruise but first our chartered bus took us for a quick city tour. 

We went to see the The Lion Monument (German term: Löwendenkmal). That monument is in commemoration of the the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution, when revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris, France.

The sculpture depicts a dying lion and was carved out of a rock face. Above the lion reads the Latin inscription HELVETIORUM FIDEI AC VIRTUTI, which translated into English means "To the loyalty and bravery of the Swiss".

Löwendenkmal

It's also amusing to see both modern buildings and authentic swiss chalets on the streets of Lucerne. Like the ones below.





It was drizzling that day, ergo, the very gloomy sky but that didn't dampen our spirits specially since we know our next stop would be a cruise on the Lake Lucerne. So we hopped on our chartered bus again, and we waited to be transported to the docking area, where a medium size boat awaits us.



a short video of our boat ride on Lake Lucerne, one early morning



It was very breezy and my hair was all over the place. That would teach me for being too stubborn and not bringing a scarf (or hat) to cover my head but it didn't spoil the fun. I was too busy admiring the view to even worry about my hair attacking me. It was so relaxing just feeling the breeze and soaking in the sights and I was dumbfounded when I came face to face with the Swiss Alps.


a dream come true, both literally and figuratively

That's because I suddenly got reminded of a dream I had a long long time ago, when I was probably still in elementary. In my dream I was infront of a huge white mountain and I was just staring at it. I can't forget that dream because I have never seen a white mountain before and I don't really know what to make of it at that age. And now here infront of me, at that very moment, while on that Lake Lucerne cruise is an image of the mountain that looks exactly what's in that dream. It still gives me goosebumps thinking about it. 

That wasn't my only encounter with the Swiss Alps, though but more about that later.

isn't that the most peaceful scenery ever (for me atleast)
with the early morning light, the alps, the water

Unfortunately, the cruise had to end and we have to go to our next destination, which is, go up the alps! But first more photos from our Lake Lucerne cruise/boat ride.



view from the boat...towards the docking area
Jesus Christ statue by Josef Vetter,
a sculpture resembling Christ The Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,
but on a much smaller scale

Next, we stopped by some shops before we finally head to our final Swiss destination.This was our last chance to do souvenir shopping. Which for me means, magnets and shot glass and snow globes and some food to try.

the busy street

the box says: luxemburgerli



Finally, Mt. Titlis, here we come!

getting closer to our next destination

Now, now, take your mind out of the gutter. Read again. There's an L there. Mt. TitLis. Haha.

This is what I meant by my next encounter with the Swiss Alps and this time it's up close and personal.

The trip to Mt. Titlis itself was a very scenic drive and when we got to the parking lot I was amazed at the snow-capped mountains surrounding us.

the parking lot itself is very scenic

...and here's a very crappy photo of my mt titlis ID pass
with the cable cars in the background

To get up to Mt. Titlis, first you take a smaller cable car (see photo above). Then you'll switch to a bigger cable car that they call the Rotair and can carry more people, like 15-20 (I really didn't count but it's like were in an elevator). The cool thing about this Rotair is that it rotates, which is amazing, because everyone gets to see the 360 degree, or atleast panoramic, view of the surrounding area while it takes us to the top.  Watch the video below for a glimpse of our experience. Click me for a better description of the Rotair.

Isn't that awesome? Yep, I thought so too.



a short video while we're inside the Rotair... 
i was standing still when i took that video but i did try to move my arm to capture more
views because this rotates really slow....




There are really no words to describe the view and the experience we had while on top of Mt. Titlis so I'll just let the photos (and videos) do the talking.



view of the city below from the first cable car
i think we were just 1/4 of the way when i took this photo
that dark blue half rectangle to your left is a small, semi-frozen lake



that's what the revolving Rotair looks like
i took this photo from inside a cable car, while on the opposite side..
thank goodness for circular polarizer :P



Mt Titlis, by the way, is 10,000 feet high up and we were warned by our tour guide that we may feel some dizziness or light headedness once we get to the top because at that high altitude, the oxygen is thinner. I did feel a little dizzy while I was there but I just move slowly so as not to aggravate it more.



*sings* i'm on the top of the world looking down on creation...
view of the tips of the alps while inside the cable car



proof that I was there
see that sign? I'm 10,000 feet high up!



another short video at the very top of the mt. titlis.. the building on the last part of the video was where i was hiding...
it was too cold and windy and i was feeling dizzy already so i stayed inside....
it was the hubby (then boyfriend, who took this video)



some swiss food i discovered while on top of mt. titllis at their cafeteria
it's called birchemuesli (musli cereal) aka swiss cereal...
i forgot how it tasted like so i'm guessing it's just so-so that's why i forgot :P


and i'll end this blog with a favorite photo of myself on top of mt. titlis...
thanks for reading!


Trivia:
Do you know that Martina Hingis (one of my favorite tennis players) is a Swiss national? Knowing that made this trip even more amazing for me.

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment